The Canon EOS R is now one of the best selling full frame mirrorless cameras in the world, Canon is now already have 22% full frame mirrorless system share in Japan. According to latest rumors, Canon is also testing a new Canon EOS R Body with APS-C image sensor. This APS-C EOS R Body could be also a professional mirrorless camera like EOS 7D Mark II, aimed for sports photographers.
Canon is expected to announce new EOS R mirrorless camera in 2019, along with some new RF lenses, such as f/2.8 zoom 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm lenses. According to CR, first Canon super telephoto lens for RF mount is also in developing, and it will be a diffractive optics (DO) lens for Canon EOS R.
The new RF mount will be very extremely impressive as Canon said in the interview. Now Canon has just filed three new wide-angle zoom RF lens patents for Canon EOS R (B&H/Amazon/Adorama/Focus Camera/WEX/ParkCamera) full frame mirrorless system. These three lens patents are: Canon RF 14-21mm f/1.4L Lens, Canon RF 12-20mm f/2L Lens, Canon RF 16-35mm f/2.8L Lens.
Lensvid has a new Photokina 2018 inteview with Mike Burnhill from Canon Europe. Mike Burnhill has talked a lot about the new Canon EOS R (B&H Photo Video/Amazon/Adorama/Focus Camera/WEX/ParkCamera) and RF lenses. The interesting part are here:
- Canon will focus on RF lenses next.
- No new EF lenses to be released in 2019 (Which means EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS will coming in 2020)
- Canon promised to release the “holy trinity” of RF mount lenses in 2019 (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm, likely be f/2.8).
- Canon also said EOS R is not targeted for pro shooters
- A high-end level EOS R Pro mirrorless camera will probably have a dual card slot, IBIS, fast shooting speed, 4K Video 10bit 4:2:2 internally and more.