Sony has just officially announced the new Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM lens. It is a fast, versatile lens well-suited to landscape, nature, architectural, and astrophotography applications. This new lens costs $1,598, first available for Pre-Order at B&H/ Adorama.
- As part of Sony’s premium G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature robust and intuitive-to-handle physical designs to benefit both photography and cine applications.
- Versatile ultra wide-angle prime is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras; however, it can also be used on APS-C models where it provides a 21mm equivalent focal length.
- Notably fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords increased control over depth of field.
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements, and one standard aspherical element, are incorporated into the optical design, which features superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, distortion and other spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- One Super ED element and two extra-low dispersion elements are featured in the lens design and help to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Nano AR Coating II has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions. This updated coating is better suited for larger, curved elements and is especially adept at minimizing internal reflections.
- An XD Linear Motor system uses two separate motors, along with an internal focusing design, to provide quick, quiet, and precise autofocus and tracking performance. This design also contributes to more natural, intuitive Linear Response manual focus control and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for quick focus mode switching.
- Minimum focusing distance of 9.8″ suits making dynamic close-up images.
- A focus hold button is present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select programmable settings.
- Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications. The ring also incorporates a locking “A” position for use in automated exposure modes.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Fluorine-coated front and rear elements resist dust, moisture, and fingerprints and are easy to clean.
- Filter holder is incorporated at the rear of the lens, within the lens mount, and accepts cut gel filters and a filter cutting template is included.
- Integrated petal-shaped lens hood helps to block stray light from causing lens flare and also affords some physical protection to the front element.
Read More: Sony lens Rumors