Canon today has officially announced the long awaited RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens and RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS lens. The US price for RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens is $2,699, now available for pre-order at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon, release date is in November, 2019. The US price for RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS lens is $2,999, now available for pre-order at B&H Photo Video/Adorama/Amazon, shipping in December, 2019.
Here is the rumored Canon roadmap for the first half of 2019. Since Canon EOS R announced, there will be no new cameras & lenses to be coming in rest of 2018. We’re now going to see more emphasis from Canon on rebates and deals for the upcoming Black Friday & Cyber Monday shopping season. There will be great deals on 5D Mark IV, 6D Mark II, 7D Mark II, 80D, T7i and even on new released EOS R. Stay tuned, Some of these cameras could be the lowest price online ever.
Lensvid has a new Photokina 2018 inteview with Mike Burnhill from Canon Europe. Mike Burnhill has talked a lot about the new Canon EOS R (B&H Photo Video/Amazon/Adorama/Focus Camera/WEX/ParkCamera) and RF lenses. The interesting part are here:
- Canon will focus on RF lenses next.
- No new EF lenses to be released in 2019 (Which means EF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS will coming in 2020)
- Canon promised to release the “holy trinity” of RF mount lenses in 2019 (24-70mm, 70-200mm, 16-35mm, likely be f/2.8).
- Canon also said EOS R is not targeted for pro shooters
- A high-end level EOS R Pro mirrorless camera will probably have a dual card slot, IBIS, fast shooting speed, 4K Video 10bit 4:2:2 internally and more.