Panasonic has announced the Lumix DMC-FZ70, a 16.1MP compact superzoom with a 60x optical zoom. Spanning the equivalent of 20-1200mm it’s the largest zoom lens available in a consumer compact. The FZ70’s zoom lens has a maximum aperture range of F2.8-5.9, and the camera introduces a new 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor capable of 1080 HD 60i video. A wind shield built into the camera’s stereo microphone is designed to improve sound quality on windy days, and the microphone itself is designed to ‘zoom’ with the lens, though Panasonic reps couldn’t provide details on approximate range.
The FZ70 more than doubles the zoom reach of its 24x Lumix DMC-FZ60 predecessor, which it effectively replaces. Naturally with such a long focal reach, the FZ70 offers Panasonic’s Power O.I.S. optical image stabilization. Like its superzoom peers, the FZ70 provides auto and manual exposure modes, as well as Raw shooting.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Price
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Price – $399.00.
Where to Buy Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
|B&H Photo Video||Buy Now|
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Features and Specifications
- Lumix DC Vario 60x Optical Zoom Lens
- A tremendously long-reaching Lumix DC Vario 60x optical zoom lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 20-1200mm, covering wide-angle to super telephoto lengths to suit shooting from nearly any vantage point. Extending the magnification of this lens even further is Intelligent Resolution technology, which effectively renders the zoom ratio to 120x with minimal image degradation.
- 16.1MP High Sensitivity MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
- A 16.1 megapixel 1/2.3″ High Sensitivity MOS sensor utilizes Back Side Illuminated technology to render imagery clearly and well-detailed with notable low-light quality. The sensor works in conjunction with the Venus Engine image processor to minimize visible noise and provide a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-3200, which can be further extended to ISO 6400 when working in High Sensitivity mode. The image processor also affords a wealth of speed and performance throughout the camera system, enabling continuous shooting rates up to 9 fps (in a 3 frame burst), 5 fps with single-shot AF, or 2 fps with continuous AF.
- Full HD Video with Dolby Digital Audio
- Full HD 1080i video recording at 60 fps is supported in the high quality AVCHD codec for fluid, well-detailed movies and 1080p video at 30 fps is also available in the Internet-friendly MP4 format. A dedicated movie record button allows for a seamless transition into the recording mode and Creative Video Mode settings offer greater control over the appearance of movies by allowing for the adjustment of shutter speed and aperture settings during recording.Also contributing to effective movies is the use of Dolby Digital Stereo Creator and the inclusion of a Wind Shield Zoom Microphone, which is able to substantially reduce the amount of wind in audio recordings to realize notably clear sound with videos. The sealed structure of the microphone works to prevent wind from reaching the microphone directly and the draft structure suppresses the retention of air internally in order to realize unaffected sound quality. Additionally, the microphone has audio zoom capabilities to match the lens’ zoom in order to provide a realistic sound quality when recording videos.
- POWER O.I.S. with Active Mode
- POWER O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) works to effectively minimize the appearance of camera shake when shooting with longer shutter speeds or greater zoom magnifications in order to realize stable, sharp, and clear imagery. This stabilization system also features Active Mode, which benefits video recording by accounting for different directions of movement in order to steadier movie recordings, even while walking or moving when recording.
- Camera Design
- The design of this bridge camera incorporates both a 3.0″ 460k-dot rear LCD monitor and a 0.20″ 202k-dot electronic viewfinder for live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation. The EVF is a convenient means for eye-level viewing, which is especially useful in bright lighting, and also provides an additional point of contact between you and the camera to further aid in stabilizing shots when working with greater zoom magnifications or when shooting in low-light conditions. A large ergonomic grip is also integrated into the FZ70’s design to further add a measure of stability when shooting.Additionally, a hot shoe is incorporated into the body to support the use of an optional external flash for greater illumination and flash control beyond that of the built-in pop-up flash.
- Other Camera Features
- iA (Intelligent Auto) mode automatically sets all camera exposure settings to clearly render the scene at hand, allowing you to simply compose and shoot. iA Plus Mode allows for even greater control through adjustment of background focus, exposure compensation, and white balance settings.
- Creative Control provides 15 different filter effects for modifying the appearance of your images: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Star Filter, and One Point Color. Many of these filters can be used during video recording and, additionally, these filters can be applied to images after shooting by using the Creative Retouch mode.
- Creative Panorama mode automatically stitches together multiple images in order to realize one wide-spanning horizontal or vertical image. A range of filter effects can also be applied to panoramic images, including Retro, Expressive, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Dynamic Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Old Days, Cross Process, and One Point Color.
- RAW file recording renders image files with greater room for post-processing adjustment compared to the standard JPEG file type.
- An HDMI port is integrated into the camera’s design to allow for direct playback of photos and movies to an HDTV.
|Body type||SLR-like (bridge)|
|Max resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Other resolutions||4608 x 3072, 4608 x 2592, 3648 x 2736, 3648 x 2432, 3072 x 2048, 3072 x 2304, 3072 x 1728, 2736 x 2736, 2560 x 1920, 2560 x 1712, 2560 x 1440, 2304 x 2304 , 2048 x 1536, 2048 x 1360, 1920 x 1920 , 1920 x 1080, 1536 x 1536, 640 x 480, 640 x 424, 640 x 360, 480 x 480|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||16.1 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||16.8 megapixels|
|Sensor size||1/2.3″ (6.17 x 4.55 mm)|
|ISO||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, (6400 with boost)|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes (2)|
|Image stabilization notes||Power O.I.S|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, Standard|
|Optics & Focus|
|Focal length (equiv.)||20–1200 mm|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Digital zoom||Yes (2x)|
|Normal focus range||30 cm (11.81″)|
|Macro focus range||1 cm (.39″)|
|Number of focus points||23|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Screen type||TFT Screen LCD Display|
|Viewfinder coverage||100 %|
|Maximum aperture||F2.8 – F5.9|
|Minimum shutter speed||8 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/2000 sec|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|Flash range||13.5 m|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Slow Sync|
|Continuous drive||Yes (9 fps)|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 10 secs)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3 frames at 1/3 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (50i/60i, 25p/30p), 1280 x 720p (50p/60p or 25p/30p), 640 x 480 (25p/30p)|
|Videography notes||1920 x 1080 pixels, 60i and 50i (FSH: 17Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 25/30fps) ; 1280 x 720 pixels 50p/60p (SH: 17Mbps / AVCHD) (Sensor Output is 25/30fps) ; 1920 x 1080 pixels, 25/30 fps (FHD: 20Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25/30fps), 1280 x 720 pixels, 25/30 fps (HD: 10Mbps / MP4) (Sensor Output is 25/30fps)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC, Internal|
|Storage included||200 MB internal|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (mini )|
|Remote control||Yes (Optional DMW-RSL1)|
|Battery description||Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||400|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||606 g (1.34 lb / 21.38 oz)|
|Dimensions||130 x 97 x 118 mm (5.12 x 3.82 x 4.65″)|