Olympus just announced the PEN E-P5, the fourth in its range of enthusiast-targeted, rangefinder-style Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras. The E-P5 takes the 16MP sensor that has appeared in the company’s other models and adds a five-axis image stabilization system and shutter capable of shooting at 1/8000th of a second amongst a host of tweaks and feature improvements. The company has also announced black versions of its 17mm, 45mm and 75mm F1.8 prime lenses, priced the same as their silver counterparts. There is also a 2.4M dot LCD electronic viewfinder, the VF-4.
Olympus PEN E-P5 Price
Body Only – $999.
with 17mm f/1.8 lens – $1,449.
Where to Buy Olympus PEN E-P5
|B&H Photo Video||Buy Now|
Olympus PEN E-P5 Features and Specifications
- 16.1MP Live MOS Sensor and TruePic VI Image Processor
- The 16.1MP Live MOS sensor and TruePic VI Image Processor provide sharp, high resolution imaging, fast autofocus and low-light, low-noise (up to ISO 25600) capability for both still and Full HD video imaging. Performance speeds are also impressive, including up to 9 fps continuous shooting.
- 5-Axis Image Stabilization
- Built-in sensor-shift type image stabilization compensates for camera shake on 5 separate axes: yaw, pitch, roll, vertical shift and a horizontal shift. The result is that images taken at slower shutter speeds have less blur, providing you with greater flexibility when shooting in low light or at long focal lengths. Four I.S. modes are available and I.S. for Live View is also supported.
- 3.0″ Tilt Touchscreen LCD
- Image composition and playback are provided by the E-P5’s bright 3.0″ LCD monitor. With approximately 1037k-dot resolution, your playback is clear and composition is confident with accurate focus and color. Seven levels of brightness and color temperature control are supported and its tilting capability (80º up and 50º down) allows for odd-angle composition and glare control. Touchscreen control offers the ability to control camera functions with just a tap or swipe on the LCD. Touch control includes shutter release, autofocus, playback navigation, art filter selection, scene mode selection and Wi-Fi connection.
- Full FD 1080p Video Capture
- Video capture is supported in both MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) and AVI (Motion JPEG) formats. In MOV format, Full HD 1080p and HD 720p are offered at 30 fps. AVI format is at 30 fps in both HD and SD. Image Stabilization in Movie mode is supported and Movie Effect provides Art Filters, Art Fades and other functions. Manual exposure control is also supported in Movie mode and a built-in stereo microphone records quality audio.
- Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity provides instant transfer of your images to your smartphone or tablet, allowing for simultaneous connection to four separate devices. It also offers remote viewing and remote shutter release of your E-P5 from your smartphone or device and with QR Code connection you can quickly link your camera to your Wi-Fi network. GPS data is also available via your connection to your smartphone.
- Full-time AF in Single, Continuous and Tracking modes is available for high speed autofocus. 35-area focusing points provide precise focus throughout the frame and focus points are selectable by groups (9-area) or single targets. Face Detection and Eye Detection focusing is also supported and an AF Illuminator is available if needed. Focus Peaking with white or black edges is provided for ensured shooting. Manual focus is also available.
- Built-in Flash with Wireless Control
- Built-in flash with a GN of 7 (ISO 100) is provided with several modes and +/-3 compensation. The built-in flash can be used as a wireless flash commander with up to four channels, controlling up to three external flashes.
- Sequential Shooting and Self-Timer
- In High Speed mode, up to 9 fps can be shot at full resolution with a maximum of 15 frames in RAW and 19 frames in JPEG. Self-timer shooting can be set to fire at 2 seconds, 12 seconds or can be customized to shoot at rates between 1-30 seconds with controllable intervals and maximum shots.
- Scene Select AE
- Scene Select AE gives you the advantage letting the camera adjust its settings to match the type of scene you will be shooting. Selectable scenes include: Portrait, e-Portrait, Landscape, Landscape + Portrait, Sport, Night, Night + Portrait, Children, High Key, Low Key, DIS mode, Macro, Nature Macro, Candle, Sunset, Documents, Panorama, Fireworks, Beach & Snow, Fisheye Converter, Wide Converter, Macro Converter and 3D.
- Art Filters and Photo Story
- Art Filters allow you to add creative flourishes to your images, touching them with special effects such as WaterColor, Cross Process or Pop Art. Twelve Art Filters are available in all. Photo Story allows you to add frames and specialized windows to your photos.
- HDR and Bracketing
- The E-P5 offers several bracketing functions allowing you to quickly shoot 2-5 frames of the same shot with varied adjustments. Exposure, ISO, White Balance and Flash bracketing is supported as is bracketing for the above Art Filters. Up to seven shots can be taken to be used later in HDR post-processing for creating a nicely balanced image of a high contrast scene.
- Interval Mode and Multiple Exposure
- For making time-lapse videos, interval mode shooting is supported to a maximum of 99 frames with the interval time set to between 1 second and 24 hours. Two-frame multiple exposure shots can be taken with the E-P5.
- Level Gauge
- A two-axis level gauge is provided to help align your images.
- Playback Modes
- Numerous Playback options are provided: Single-frame, Information display, Index display (4/9/25/100 frames), Calendar, Enlargement (2x – 14x), Movie (with sound, FF/REW/Pause), Picture rotation (auto), Slideshow (with sound including BGM, two selectable slide show effects, replaceable BGM), and Light Box Display. The information display includes: Histogram (independent luminance/RGB available), Highlight/Shadow point warning, AF frame, Photographic information, and OFF.
- Languages Supported
- English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Russian, Czech, Dutch, Danish, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Croat, Slovenian, Hungarian, Greek, Slovakian, Turkish, Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Rumanian, Indonesian, Malay, Thai
|Body type||Rangefinder-style mirrorless|
|Max resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Image ratio w:h||4:3|
|Effective pixels||16.1 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||17.2 megapixels|
|Sensor size||Four Thirds (17.3 x 13 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|ISO||Auto (200 – 1600), 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 16000, 20000, 25600|
|White balance presets||8|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|JPEG quality levels||Super fine, Fine, Standard|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||35|
|Lens mount||Micro 4/3 Lens Mount|
|Focal length multiplier||2×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Viewfinder type||Electronic (optional)|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/8000 sec|
|Flash range||7 m (ISO 100)|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-Eye, Fill-in, Slow Sync (1st or 2nd curtain), Manual (1/1 – 1/64)|
|Flash X sync speed||1/320 sec|
|Continuous drive||Yes (9 fps)|
|Self-timer||Yes (2 or 12 sec)|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±5 (2, 3, 5 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|WB Bracketing||Yes (3 frames in 2, 4, 6 steps)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (30p), 1280 x 720 (30p)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Remote control||Yes (Optional RM-UC1)|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||330|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||420 g (0.93 lb / 14.82 oz)|
|Dimensions||122 x 69 x 37 mm (4.8 x 2.72 x 1.46″)|
|Timelapse recording||Yes (.AVI, 1280 x 720, 10fps)|
Olympus PEN E-P5 Release Date
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sample Images