Leica has officially announced the new Thambar-M 90mm f/2.2 lens today. The US price for this lens is $6.495.00, now available for pre-order at B&H Photo Video and Adorama. This lens will be shipping in Mid November.
- Dedicated to producing soft focus imagery, this unique lens can be used in conjunction with the included center spot filter to increase the drama of the dreamy effect for striking, ethereal image quality.
- Based on the original Thambar from the 1930s, this updated version uses the same optical layout but features a single protective coating on the glass elements to guard against corrosion.
- Deliberate under-correction of spherical aberration, along with a 20-blade diaphragm, produce a circular rendition of out-of-focus highlights along with an overall diffuse quality that becomes more exaggerated towards the edge of the frame.
- Short telephoto focal length and bright f/2.2 maximum aperture are ideal for portraiture and isolating subject matter using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Dual aperture scales, in red and white, represent working with and without the center spot filter in place. Additionally, the aperture ring is stepless for smooth, precise adjustment that is not limited by click-stops.
- Manual focus design provides a minimum focusing distance of 3.3′.
- Included vintage brown hard leather case further reinforces the classic look and nostalgia of this lens, and contains a storage pocket for the included center spot filter in the lid. Additionally, the included specially designed metal lens hood and metal front lens cap are felt lined to protect the metal body of the lens from scratches.
|Aperture||f/2.2 to f/25|
|Camera Mount Type||Leica M|
|Angle of View||27°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||3.3′ / 1 m|
|Reproduction Ratio||Not specified by manufacturer|
|Optical Design||4 elements in 3 groups|
|Filter Thread||49 mm|
|Dimensions||2.2 x 3.5″ / 57 x 90 mm|
|Weight||1.1 lb / 500 g|