As rumored yesterday, the new firmware update Version 4.00 for Fujifilm X-T1 now officially announced, it will be available for download online in late June, 2015.
Here the full detail of Fujifilm X-T1 firmware Version 4.00:
1. New AF System
- (1) New AF system with Zone and Wide/Tracking modes for effortless capture of moving subjects
- The AF System complements the fast and accurate 49-single-point autofocus system with new Zone and Wide/Tracking modes, which use 77 autofocus points across a wider area to substantially improve the camera’s ability to capture moving subjects.
- The Zone mode allows users to choose a 3×3, 5×3 or 5×5 zone from the 77-point AF area. When combined with the AF-C continuous focusing mode, the camera continues tracking a subject at the center of the selected zone. The 3×3 and 5×3 zones at the center, in particular, offer extra-fast focusing with the use of the built-in phase detection pixels.
- In the Wide/Tracking mode, the camera displays the area in focus, identified automatically out of the 77-point AF area (Wide in the AF-S mode) and tracks the focus area’s subject across the entire 77-point AF area (Tracking in the AF-C mode). This makes it possible to maintain focus on a subject that moves vertically, horizontally, and back and forth.
- (2) Improvement of AF accuracy
- Single-point AF divides the focus area into smaller sections to more accurately determine the distance to the subject for even greater focusing accuracy. The built-in phase detection pixels have the detection range of 0.5EV, an improvement from the previous 2.5EV, delivering phase detection AF performance that enables fast focusing in low-light conditions and on low-contrast subjects.
- (3) Eye Detection AF
- The firmware update provides Fujifilm’s Eye Detection AF, which automatically detects and focuses on human eyes. The function allows you to easily focus on the eyes even in difficult conditions, e.g. when shooting a portrait wide open to obtain a beautiful bokeh background.
- (4) Auto Macro mode
- The firmware update introduces the Auto Macro function, which automatically switches the camera into the Macro mode while maintaining the conventional AF speed. You no longer have to press the Macro button to initiate a close-up shot. This update eliminates the Macro function assigned to the Macro Button, allowing you to assign a different function to the button.
- (5) AF improvement in the Movie mode
- The optimized algorithm delivers a more natural and smooth AF action during movie recording.
2. Other improvements
- (1) Improved Shutter Speed Dial operation
- When the Shutter Speed Dial is set to T and the Shutter Type to Mechanical + Electronic, you can use the command dial to set a full range of exposure times from 30-1/32000sec. Previously, this was limited to 30-2 seconds. This means you can change the shutter speeds across a broader range without having to change camera position. This is particularly useful when shooting in the portrait orientation with the Vertical Battery Grip VG-XT1 attached.
- (2) Exposure Compensation control in Manual.
- You can use the Exposure Compensation dial to make exposure adjustments while shooting in the Manual exposure mode with the ISO Auto setting.
- (3) Finer lines on the framing grid enhances visibility
- The lines on the framing grid, which you can choose to display in the Screen Set-Up menu, have been made finer making it easier to view the subject.
- (4) Name of Silent mode changed to avoid confusion
- The Silent Mode has been renamed to “SOUND & FLASH OFF”.