Blackmagic Design has announced the Production Camera 4K, a Super-35 format, 4K-capable camera with global shutter for smooth panning and image motion. It can capture footage in Apple ProRes 422 HQ or losslessly compressed CinemaDNG Raw – promising 12-stops of dynamic range. The camera is built around a Canon EF mount and an internal SSD recorder to cope with the data rates.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Price
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K – $3,995.00.
Where to Buy Blackmagic Production Camera 4K
|B&H Photo Video||$3,995.00||Pre-Order|
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Specifications
- Large Super 35 Sensor: With a large Super 35 size sensor you get familiar framing and behavior from the lenses you already own! The sensor features a global shutter so you get perfect panning and with minimal crop factor you also get beautiful wide angle shots from your wide angle lenses.
- EF Compatible Lens Mount: With the EF compatible lens mount you can choose high quality optics that are designed to take advantage of the large Super 35 size sensor with minimal cropping. Use the world’s most amazing optics from leading lens crafters like Canon, Zeiss and more, with full electronic control!
- Capture 4K ProRes directly to a removable SSD!: With a built in SSD recorder, Blackmagic Production Camera 4K easily captures 4K in ProRes 422 (HQ) and compressed CinemaDNG files. You get a 4K camera designed from the ground up to be part of your post production workflow!
- Open File Formats: Unlike traditional cameras that record obscure file formats that take time to convert before you can start post production, the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K records directly to files that are compatible with your editing software.
- Beautifully Crafted Design: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K has been designed with portability and durability in mind. With standard connections and an internal battery inside a beautiful machined aluminum design, you can be confident that the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K will easily handle the rigors of location work!
- Easy to Use Touchscreen: Use the capacitive touchscreen to access menus to change settings such as recording format, shutter angle and more! Double tap the screen to zoom into the image for fast and accurate focus. Tap once on the screen to display the metadata entry page where you can enter information such as shot number.
- Dynamic Range: With 12 stops of dynamic range you get amazing looking images beyond those of regular video cameras or even the highest end broadcast cameras. All this dynamic range is captured into ProRes or CinemaDNG files at 4K resolution, so images retain a beautiful film look.
- No need to buy expensive custom cables!: Blackmagic Production Camera 4K uses standard connections, so you never need to source custom cables! It includes a 6G-SDI connection for Ultra HD resolution or down converted HD output over a single SDI cable.
|Effective Sensor Size||21.12mm x 11.88mm (Super 35).|
|Effective Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Shooting Resolutions||3840 x 2160, 1920×1080.|
|Frame Rates||3840 x 2160p23.98, 3840 x 2160p24, 3840 x 2160p25, 3840 x 2160p29.97, 3840 x 2160p30, 1920 x 1080p23.98, 1920 x 1080p24, 1920 x 1080p25, 1920 x 1080p29.97, 1920 x 1080p30, 1920 x 1080p50i, 1920 x 1080p59.94i.|
|Dynamic Range||12 stops|
|Focus||Focus button turns on peaking|
|Iris Control||Iris button automatically adjusts the lens iris settings so no pixel is clipped in film mode. Scene average auto exposure in video mode.|
|Lens Mount||EF and ZE mount compatible with electronic iris control.|
|Screen Dimensions||5″ and 800 x 480 resolution.|
|Screen Type||Integrated LCD capacitive touchscreen.|
|Metadata Support||Automatic camera data and user data such as shot number, filenames and keywords.|
|Controls||On screen touch menus and physical buttons for recording and transport control.|
|Microphone||Integrated stereo microphone.|
|Speaker||Integrated mono speaker|
|Mounting Options||3 x 1/4″-20 UNC thread mounting points on top of camera. 1 x 1/4″-20 UNC thread tripod mount with locator pin.|
|Storage Type||Removable 2.5″ SSD.|
|Storage Format||Mac OS Extended or exFAT format. SSDs can be formatted on any Mac or use Mediafour MacDrive (not included) on a Windows PC.|
|Storage Rates||880 Mbps using Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).|
|Compressed Recording Formats||Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080, visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080 with either Film or Video Dynamic Range.|
|SDI Video Output||1 x 6G-SDI 10-bit 4:2:2 with choice of Film or Video Dynamic Range.|
|Analog Audio Input||2 x 1/4″ jacks for professional balanced analog audio, switchable between mic and line levels.|
|Analog Audio Output||1 x 3.5mm stereo jack headphone output.|
|SDI Audio Outputt||2 channels in 6G-SDI 48 kHz and 24 bit|
|Remote Control||1 x 2.5mm LANC for Rec Start/Stop, Iris Control and Focus.|
|Computer Interface||Thunderbolt port for capture of HD video and audio. USB 2.0 mini B port for software updates and configuration.|
|SDI Compliance||SMPTE 292M|
|SDI Audio Sampling||48 kHz and 24-bit|
|Software Included||DaVinci Resolve Lite grading software DVD for Mac OS X and Windows. Blackmagic Media Express software. DiskSpeed Test.|
|Supported Software Applications||Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier Pro, After Effects, Nuke, Photoshop, Pro Tools, DaVinci Resolve, UltraScope, Media Express, Disk Speed Test.|
|Operating Systems||Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.
Windows 7 or later.
|External Power||11V-30V DC port for external battery power or use included.|
|Power||Integrated Lithium Ion Polymer rechargeable battery. 11V-30V DC port for external battery power or use included 12V AC adapter.|
|Battery Life||Approximately 90 minutes.|
|Battery Charge Time||Approximately 2 hours when not in use.|
|Dimensions||128mm Wide x 113mm Thick x 166mm Height / 5″ x 4.5″ x 6.50|